Wednesday 21 March 2012

A Reminder

Thanks to my friend  Derek, who is an author, and a damn fine one at that, I was sent a video.
Yes, descriptive, I know. But, I want you to watch it, and then feel how I felt. So, here you go. 


I watched that, and bawled. Like, woah. Tissues, snot, the whole show. If I ever needed conformation of my own humanity, and the humanity of others...that was it.

I think having been to Japan, and spent a month there, living with the people, experiencing the culture, it really hits home a lot harder than it did before. But, that said, I took the Japanese earthquake surprisingly badly. I mean, considering that I am not Japanese, and none of my friends there were harmed in any way. However, I have a great deal of respect for Japan, and its people. I feel more connected with their culture than my own, insofar as Canada HAS a culture.

This video is also a reminder that, even though the media has forgotten it, the earthquake is not over, not for the Japanese people. There is still so much work to be done rebuilding the country, physically and economically. And there is still so much that has been lost forever.

Now, I have to wonder-could any other country, or culture deal with this kind of tragedy with the same grace and dignity as Japan?

I don't think so.

No comments:

Post a Comment